This is one of my all time favourite cakes. I discovered it at a farmers market in Devon, UK. I came every week for a slice even though I was working for a bakers at the time and vending for them. So I was surrounded by awesome cakes but this was just my ultimate jam! I stated asking for the recipe which she was understandably reluctant seeing as I was a fellow market baker. I reassured her it was for my own use and eventually she wrote it down the very vague recipe on a napkin. It took a few tries to get this to come out how I wanted it to but now the recipe is pretty foolproof.
Sticky, dense, fruity and chocolaty this is made with a blend of almonds and gluten-free flour and so is great for those avoiding gluten and wheat. Originally the recipe is with brown sugar but I replaced it with coconut sugar. You could also use a liquid sweetener but that could change the balance of wet-dry ingredients so this would need to be tweaked. The pear is awesome as it lightens up the dense nature of the cake, especially with the gluten-free flour which doesn’t rise much.
The pear is awesome as it lightens up the dense nature of the cake, especially with the gluten-free flour which doesn’t rise much. Use a firm, even slightly under-ripe large pear so to keep the form of the chunks during cooking.
Vegan Gluten-free, Banana Chocolate Cake with Pear
Ingredients– makes 2 small brownie trays
280g ground almonds
200g gluten free self-raising flour
350ml coconut oil
280g coconut sugar
1 large pear cut into chunks
4 ripe bananas, mashed
100g dark chocolate chunks (cut from a good quality, high cacao content bar)
- Weigh out all ingredients apart from the chocolate and pear chunks into a large bowl and mix well.
- Lightly fold in the chocolate and pear chunks so they are evenly spread but making sure you don’t break up the pear.
- Pour into 2 greased and lined trays and smooth the top
- Bake at 175C/350F for 30-40 minutes. It will be slightly browned but due to the sticky nature of this cake the old skewer test doesn’t really tell you much here. It’s kind of like a brownie in that you don’t want to ver back it.
- Glaze with apricot jam if you’d like but it’s not necessary and is great plain too.
FREE Superfood Recipe Book!
Join our mailing list to receive this free 32 page recipe collection PLUS the latest offers, news and updates from White Dragon Organics!