Luscious Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Cake
For the vegan gluten free lemon cake
- 1/2 cup (90g) polenta
- 1/2 cup (55g) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup (75g) buckwheat flour or gluten-free blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp milled flaxseed + 5 tbsp hot water)
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) maple syrup, honey or any other liquid sweetener
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) milk of choice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
For the coconut lemon frosting
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated or coconut cream
- Juice & zest of 1 small lemon
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180*C (160*C fan assisted)/ 350*F/ Gas Mark 4
- Prepare the flax eggs by mixing 5 tbsp hot water with the milled flaxseed in a small bowl. Leave for 10 minutes to set.
- In a large bowl, mix together the polenta, flour, grounds almonds, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour in the lemon juice, milk, coconut oil, maple syrup and flax eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer into a loaf tin covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Leave to cool completely before icing.
- For the coconut lemon frosting – open the can of coconut milk. There should be a thick layer of cream on top – scoop out the thick part only and place it in a large bowl or if your using coconut cream then use as is.
- Use a hand mixer to whip the coconut cream for a few minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
- You will only need around 1/2 the whipped cream to make the frosting. and to that add the lemon juice and maple syrup. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Spread the frosting over the cake and decorate with lemon slices, lemon zest or mint leaves.
- Enjoy your luscious vegan gluten-free lemon cake!